Twin Cities Violent Crime Task Force seizes 94 guns in a month, extends another 30 days

Federal Violent Crime Task Force has seized 94 illegal guns in the Twin Cities and will extend operations for another 30 days.

Image credit: Twitter via @FBIMinneapolis

U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota Erica MacDonald announced Friday that the Twin Cities Violent Crime Task Force, which formed in July to help address the local surge in violent crime, will be extended for another 30 days.

The federal Task Force was formed in early July in response to an “extraordinary spike” in violent crime across the Twin Cities that has followed the rioting and destruction brought on by the death of George Floyd, who died while in Minneapolis police custody in late May.

MacDonald said that over the last 30 days, the joint efforts of the Task Force have resulted in the removal of a total of 94 illegal firearms off the streets and 15 individuals have been charged with federal firearms violations.

Most recently, a Minneapolis man was federally charged last week in connection to an armed robbery spree that targeted several businesses over the course of eight hours on July 30. Derrick Lee Spillman, 39, was charged under the Hobbs Act with four counts of robbery, and one count of using a firearm in the commission of a violent crime.

MacDonald said the Task force has brought together additional federal and state resources to assist local law enforcement to investigate, arrest, and prosecute individuals responsible for some of the violent crimes occurring in Twin Cities communities.

The Task Force is comprised of federal agents and analysts from the FBI, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, United States Secret Service, United States Marshals Service, Drug Enforcement Administration, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, police officers from the Minneapolis and St. Paul Police Departments and deputies from the Hennepin, Ramsey and Dakota counties Sheriff’s Offices, as well as federal and state prosecutors.

The announcement of the extension stated that after evaluating the rate of violence, the resources utilized, and the effectiveness of those resources, U.S. Attorney MacDonald has determined the Task Force will remain operational for an additional 30 days. Beyond that, there will be a continued assessment of the need for a centralized command center to remain in place.

The public is urged to report tips by calling 1-800-CALLFBI (800-225-5324) or submit pictures and/or videos at www.fbi.gov/violence.

– – –

Minnesota Crime Watch & Information publishes news, info and commentary about crime, public safety and livability issues in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota.