Three men in their 40s who have a combined total of over 80 Minnesota convictions between them are now facing new felony charges related to a Minnetonka game store burglary in November and are suspected in other metro area commercial burglaries, according to criminal complaints filed in Hennepin County.
According to three identical criminal complaints filed last month, on Nov. 7, Minneapolis police received a tip from employees at a downtown Minneapolis game store that three men had come into the store on LaSalle Avenue trying to sell “Magic: The Gathering” collectible game cards.
The employees told police that only a few stores in the metro area are engaged in the buying and selling of the collectible fantasy genre game cards, and that they’d been recently been contacted by the owner of Lodestone Games and Coffee in Minnetonka who had asked them to watch out for game cards, valued at over $7,500, that had been stolen from them in a recent burglary, the complaints said.
Lodestone Games had posted surveillance photos and news about the burglary on Facebook on Nov. 6, which had apparently occurred in the overnight or early morning hours that day.
The criminal complaints state that the reporting parties at the downtown Minneapolis game store advised police that three suspects, who were later identified as Maurice Antonio Parham, 41, Richard Lee Holston, 40, and Kevin Wayne Joseph, 40, entered the store with Magic the Gathering cards, which appeared to be in the same types and conditions that had been reported stolen by Lodestone Games.
The three suspects gave different stories to the store employees about how they had come into possession of the cards and appeared surprised when they learned what the value of the cards were. They told the game store employees that they would leave and return shortly, that’s when police were called and advised that the suspects had planned to return.
Officers with the Minneapolis Police Department were waiting for the suspects when they returned and arrested them. Parham gave an implausible statement to police about how he obtained the cards; the other two suspects declined to give statements, the complaint said.
Officers obtained surveillance video of the Lodestone Games burglary and observed that there were two suspects inside the business whose height and appearance were consistent with Holton and Parham. The complaints stated that it’s typical for one party to remain in the vehicle as a lookout or getaway driver when multiple parties are involved in a burglary.
Parham has a lengthy arrest history with 20 prior Minnesota convictions including at least 7 felonies for second-degree assault, terroristic threats, domestic assault, violation of no contact order, criminal vehicular operation and several narcotics convictions. Parham’s most recent Aug. 2018 felony conviction in Ramsey County on second-degree assault and terroristic threats was stayed by Judge Nicole J. Starr. Despite Parham’s lengthy criminal history, under the terms of a plea agreement, Parham was instead given credit for 103 days already spent in jail and was released on probation.
Holston also has a lengthy arrest history and has 41 prior Minnesota convictions including at least six felonies involving theft, narcotics, and burglary. Holston’s numerous other convictions include weapons and financial card fraud. Court records show that the sentences for Holston’s most recent two felony convictions in 2014 for burglary and narcotics in separate incidents in separate counties were ordered to be served concurrently (at the same time) by judges in Hennepin and Ramsey Counties.
Joseph also has a lengthy arrest history and has 21 prior Minnesota convictions including felony narcotics, violation of an order for protection, and several driving after revocation and other traffic offenses.
All three suspects have been charged with one felony count each of receiving stolen property. The complaints state that the maximum sentence if convicted is up to 10 years in prison and/or a $20,000 fine. The complaints state that all three men are still under active investigation as suspects in numerous other commercial burglaries in the metro area.
Court records show all three suspects made their initial court appearances on Nov. 12 and were granted public defenders. Records further indicate that all three suspects were offered $10,000 bail/bond with no conditions and are no longer in custody at Hennepin County Jail. Parham and Joseph are scheduled to make their next court appearances on Jan. 13, and Holston is scheduled to appear on Jan. 7.
After the arrests were made, Lodestone Games posted on Facebook thanking the Minneapolis game store employees for their help in identifying the “bad guys” who broke into their store and included a picture of themselves displaying their returned merchandise.
(Facebook photo at Lodestone Games after merchandise was returned)
Sponsor this content. You can help ensure that Alpha News can continue to publish important public safety news and information. Email: email@example.com.
Minnesota Crime Watch & Information publishes news, info and commentary about crime, public safety and livability issues in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities and greater Minnesota.