The Star Tribune, in running with a badly flawed, almost intentionally deceptive story by the Associated Press, is this week’s media bias winner. Boy, it’s a doozy.
The inflammatory headline was “US Army quietly discharging immigrant recruits.” Oh no, a purge by Trump, will nilly and founded on nothing but hatred of immigrants (who by definition are better than you citizens), was underway. Only there wasn’t and the story left out so many facts as to have made the publishing of it a willful demonstration of what President Trump means when he refers to our “corrupt and dishonest” press.
The twitter account known as @AG_Conservative laid it all out with deadly precision. He found that
- Recruits were being “discharged” for failing to pass their background checks
- Because they hadn’t started basic training, recruits weren’t even being discharged
- The program involved faced serious abuse because there was no time limit for the amount of service required and many were quitting shortly after attaining honorable discharge status, the trigger for being granted citizenship
- The total number of recruits involved was a whopping 40, approximately
- The republic’s worst president, Obama, decided to combine this military program with DACA as yet another way to grant “dreamers” citizenship
- The combining of these two programs effectively spelled the end of the military one, as well as necessitated the background checks because of infiltration by gangs
- The same expert extensively quoted in the AP story said that this decision “sounded the death knell for the program”
- Finally, a large number of recruits flagged are said to be from China.
Phew, lads, that’s one concentrated story of deception and bias. Yet our media insists that they are essential to our democracy. What they fail to understand, refuse to really, is that fake news legitimately is the enemy of the American people.
When President Trump said that last year, the media proved his point by claiming he said “the media” and not fake news was the enemy of the American people. Recently a poll found that 72% of Americans believe the media invents fake news and are not to be trusted. Media may decry such findings but they alone are responsible for them.