Suspect charged in new case with attempted murder was free on COVID-19 related court delay in another case

A suspect now charged with attempted murder was free on zero bail after his sentencing hearing in a prior felony assault case was canceled due to COVID-19 related court delays.

Jalyn Tremaine Bass

A suspect now charged with attempted murder was free on zero bail after his sentencing hearing in a prior felony assault case was canceled due to COVID-19 related court delays.

Shots rang out at a Mounds View gas station on Saturday night over what the now-charged suspect told police was “bad blood.”

The alleged shooter, Jalyn Tremaine Bass, 19, of Fridley recently pleaded guilty in another felony assault case but he was free on zero bail because his scheduled sentencing hearing was canceled due to a COVID-19 related court delay.

According to charges filed in Ramsey County on Monday, police responded to the Speedway gas station on the 2400 block of County Road I in Mounds View, MN just after 10 p.m. on Saturday after receiving multiple calls for shots fired.

When police arrived, they were approached by a male who said his kids were shot at and that he knew who the shooter was. Recorded police dispatch audio captured the police response that played out over at least 45 minutes during their search for the suspect. 

Police eventually spoke to the person who had been shot at, identified in the complaint as R.T., and learned that he had gone to the gas station after learning from his brother that he’d seen Bass there earlier. The complaint stated that “they did not have a good relationship.”

R.T. went to the gas station expecting a confrontation with Bass. Bass yelled for R.T. to come to the back of the building, and when he did, Bass pulled a gun and began shooting. R.T. ran for cover, the complaint said. 

Police recovered a dozen .40 caliber bullet casings from the scene and also discovered two apparent bullet holes in the area where R.T. said he took cover. Police were also able to identify a vehicle on surveillance video that matched a vehicle previously associated with Bass.

On Sunday evening just after 9:30 p.m., Mounds View police and Fridley police located Bass at his nearby residence on the 1400 block of 73rd Avenue Northeast in Fridley and apprehended him after a short foot pursuit.

A backpack in Bass’ possession at the time of his arrest contained a stolen .40-caliber handgun with an extended 20-round magazine and an extra 12-round magazine.

Bass admitted to police that he was at the Speedway the previous night and had fired shots from the gun police had found in his backpack. He refused to identify who he was shooting at but claimed that he was acting in self-defense against people with whom he had “bad blood” and who had been threatening him.

Bass has been charged with one felony count each of second-degree attempted murder and second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon. He made his first court appearance on Tuesday and was granted a public defender. Bass remains in custody on $75,000 bail and his next hearing is scheduled for May 6.

The criminal complaint states that Bass could face up to 20 years if convicted on the most serious charge of attempted murder or up to 7 years on the second-degree assault charge.

Bass pleaded guilty in January to a felony charge of fourth-degree assault on a peace officer and had been free on zero bail awaiting sentencing in the case. Bass was scheduled to be sentenced on the charge on March 19, but the hearing was cancelled due to the “pandemic event,” according to court records and Bass remained free.

Sponsor this content. You can help ensure that Alpha News can continue to publish important public safety news and information. Email:


Minnesota Crime Watch & Information publishes news, info and commentary about crime, public safety and livability issues in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities and greater Minnesota