Mayor Blaming Trump Supporters for Not Seeking Help from Police

Anti-Trump protesters attack Trump Supporters
Donald Trump supporters try to make it to their cars unharmed after a fundraiser for the candidate on Aug. 19, 2016.

Mayor claims lack of police presence for Trump supporters wasn’t politically motivated

MINNEAPOLIS, MN– Minneapolis DFL Mayor Betsy Hodges is saying Trump supporters who were attacked at the Friday night Trump fundraiser were at fault for not accepting help from Minneapolis Police.

On Monday, Minnesota GOP Chairman Keith Downey sent a letter to Hodges questioning whether a lack of police support outside of the event was politically motivated.

In a response letter to Downey, Hodges wrote, “Please note that the City cannot control decisions that individuals may have made about accepting the protections available to them.”

As Alpha News reported earlier in the week, many Trump supporters who attended the event Friday night have made claims that Police were told to not intervene and not to get involved.

Videos taken by event goers show a lone Minneapolis Convention Center guard ushering people in and out of the event while batting protesters away.

Eyewitnesses also told Alpha News that they were physically beaten and spit on. A few Trump supporters state that they tried to file police reports only to be turned away.

Minneapolis Police Janeé Harteau also released a statement. She say her department has not arrested anyone in connection to the protest.

“At this point, we have not seen any evidence that would suggest officers stood by idly after witnessing crimes being committed,” Harteau said.

In his letter, Downey expressed concern about future events. Hodges responded, “Minneapolis has a long history of effectively balancing public safety with First Amendment rights. I continue to be confident in the ability of the Minneapolis Police Department to manage protests in accordance with these principles.”

Police are investigating a robbery and reports of damage to property. Harteau says they are reviewing 30 hours of body camera footage. They are encouraging anyone who was attacked and who have not filed a report to do so.