A man has been arrested and charged with burglary related to a viral video that circulated on social media last month that appeared to show a pair of burglary suspects attempting to break into a residence in Woodbury.
The video showed two men apparently trying to break into a home in broad daylight. One of the men, wearing a Chicago Bulls hat and jersey, is seen kicking and throwing rocks at the door. In a Facebook post that has since been deleted, a person who identified themselves as a relative of the victim said that a big screen TV was stolen off the wall.
Deontay Williams, 25, has been identified in a report as one of the a suspects and has been charged in Washington County in relation to the burglary which occurred on Nov. 16 on the 8600 block of Quarry Ridge Lane in Woodbury, MN.
The homeowner reported that she received a motion alert from the entrance of the home. Once she activated the live security camera, she saw two men allegedly trying to break into the home. Arriving officers found broken glass on the front door and the door ajar. The report stated that officers cleared the house with the help of a K9 and determined that no one was inside.
The report states that other video provided to police shows a man punching the glass out of the door to unlock the deadbolt and that he entered the home and removed a 65-inch flat-screen TV from a mount, leaving the home and running down the driveway.
According to the report, an officer recognized one of the males as a juvenile with whom he’d had prior contact. The juvenile subsequently gave information to police that led them to Williams, the male who allegedly broke the glass and took the TV.
When police went to the apartment of Williams’ girlfriend, they saw a 65-inch flat-screen matching the description of the stolen TV. The TV had multiple cracks in it and a broken wall mount. Williams’ girlfriend initially told police they had purchased the TV from Walmart, but she eventually said he had stolen it from a residence. She then provided the officer with the clothes Williams was wearing in the security video from Nov. 16.
Williams has been charged with one count of felony second-degree burglary, which carries a sentence of up to 10 years. However, the Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines Grid allows for a stayed sentence upon conviction for those with a low criminal history score or no prior felony convictions. A search of Minnesota court records shows that Williams has no prior felony convictions in Minnesota, leaving him with a negligible criminal history score for sentencing purposes if convicted in this case.
Court records show that Williams made his first court appearance on Dec. 5 and that he was ordered conditionally released by Judge Sheridan Hawley. Records show that Williams posted a non-cash bond on Dec. 10 and is no longer in custody. Williams has been granted a public defender and is scheduled to make his next court appearance on Jan. 8.
Sponsor this content. You can help ensure that Alpha News can continue to publish important public safety news and information. Email: email@example.com.
Minnesota Crime Watch & Information publishes news, info and commentary about crime, public safety and livability issues in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities and greater Minnesota.