Another three-year-old boy has become the sixth juvenile to be shot in north Minneapolis in just the last several weeks.
Two of the six children shot since April 30 have died, and just last week another three-year-old was shot and critically injured. Had it not been for quick-thinking police who rushed the child to the hospital in that case, the child may have also died, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said last week.
The latest child shooting happened on Friday morning.
MPD to assist MFD with a baby that is bleeding and may have been hit by a stray bullet earlier.
27xx Thomas Ave N.
— CrimeWatchMpls (@CrimeWatchMpls) July 16, 2021
The Minneapolis Fire Department was dispatched around 11 a.m. to an address on the 2700 block of Thomas Avenue North for a baby that was bleeding. Police were added to the call when the 911 call center learned that the child may have been struck by a stray bullet, according to the original police dispatch audio.
While police were en route, a fire responder that had arrived on scene told the dispatcher that the child had a confirmed gunshot wound.
Further dispatch audio indicated that police were initially looking in the backyard for a scene based on what they were told by people at the house.
However, a police responder in another dispatch said the three-year-old was able to tell them that he was shot inside the house.
Minneapolis police spokesman John Elder subsequently held a press conference and stated that the child was taken to the hospital in critical condition with a “very serious” gunshot wound and was going to need “extensive” help.
Elder also confirmed that their preliminary investigation indicated that the gunshot happened inside the house.
Few other details were able to be released at the time, Elder said, citing the ongoing investigation.
– – –
Minnesota Crime Watch & Information publishes news, info and commentary about crime, public safety and livability issues in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota.