First 2018 Candidate Announces Decision to Suspend Race

1
Source: thedwellingplace.org

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Chatter at the Minnesota State Fair on Saturday suggested one candidate for governor of Minnesota had chosen to suspend their campaign.

Alpha News can now confirm that Ramsey County Commissioner Blake C. Huffman made the decision to drop out of the gubernatorial race this weekend, becoming the first casualty of the crowded race for governor.

Speaking with Alpha News Sunday morning, Huffman told Alpha News that he made a formal decision Friday, sending an email to Republican party officials announcing his decision to suspend his campaign.

As the first candidate with political experience to announce his bid for governor, Huffman spoke of the difficulties to juggle his duties as Ramsey County Commissioner, working on his foundation, Journey Home Minnesota, and running for governor.

Huffman said he felt he could “best serve society” by continuing to run and contribute through his foundation that builds homes for veterans. The foundation currently has 10 homes in the queue to be built and ultimately wanted to focus on helping people through his charity work.

“I plan on keeping a close eye on the race,” Huffman said of the governor’s race.

Seven candidates remain in the race for governor on the Republican side with more expected to announce in the coming months.

Comments

comments

SHARE
Previous articleMN Pension Commission Balks at Negative Bloomberg Report
Next articleThe Star Tribune’s War On Free Speech
Preya Samsundar was born and raised in Minneapolis, MN. She graduated from the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities this Spring with a B.A. in Political Science and Sociology, with a minor in Strategic Communications. Preya has previously worked on several State Campaign Races.